Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Oops! I did it again!

Ever have one of those days when nothing can go right, you are totally crabby and you are just so tired and in so much pain? That happened to me the other day, and seems to happen every so often. It also seems to occur regularly on weekends.

Well, I finally figured out the theme! I forgot my medication. Yes, it is true that I am ruthlessly organized, with every pill carefully packaged away under it's proper day in the medicine dispenser. I routinely count out the pills on Saturday morning, when I can take my time and not feel rushed. It is great to wake up, take a walk with my husband and our two dogs (breed? part German Shepherd/part insane), maybe even have a leisurely breakfast across the street at the coffee shop and just relax. But that is also completely contrary to my routine the rest of the week and sometimes leads to failure to take my meds. By mid-afternoon I am grumpy and sleepy and lacking energy. My husband is looking at me cross-eyed and my son has locked himself in his room. When I go to bed at night, I am so frustrated that a perfectly wonderful Saturday was wasted on my fibro problems. And then as I go to take my evening meds, I realize that I forgot to count out my pills for the week and then (ta da!) I realize that I did not take my meds that morning.

Standing orders at our house now are that when I get grumpy, my family members are supposed to ask me if I took my meds. My end of the bargain is to try to not snap at everyone who asks. It seems to be working. (Mostly I remember now to avoid having to answer to them - it's that fierce independence from my father's side of the family that makes me that way. Okay, I call it independence, they call it something else....but you know what I mean.)

Then there's the time I took my bedtime medicine in the morning - I'll save the story of the lost Friday for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment