Monday, May 4, 2009

It all starts with a good attitude and one manageable goal

Well, yet again a series of setback occurred over the past several weeks.  It started with a small traffic accident.  No injuries, thank goodness, but I ended up totalling my 1998 Ford Windstar (not worth that much so not really hard to do).  That forced us into doing something we have known for a while that we needed to do:  get a new car.  Went through that process - took up another week.  Weather has been up and down, so when it is nice we really go to town with bike riding.  Had severe neck pain, resulting in emergency room visit (because of the accompanying headache) and another visit for an MRI, along with many doctors visits.  Lost a lot of time that way.  Now, hopefully, that is all behind me.

You know, the most important thing to hold on to during stressful times like this is an upbeat attitude.  Even though all of these activities got in my way, I tried to embrace the time waiting around for things, like doctor's appointments and MRIs, and tried to really focus on what I need to do.  I have been feeling overwhelmed because the list of things I need to do seems never ending.  Ultimately, I realize that in order to maintain a positive attitude, I need to make the list more manageable.  So I have boiled it down to one goal:  lose weight.  And with that one goal, everything should fall into place.  Lose weight equals eat healthy (great for fibro), engage in activity (also great for fibro), get plenty of sleep because when I am tired I make bad choices (also great for fibro and Chronic Fatigue), and keep track (this will also improve my attitude because I will see progress).

And there you have it.  Yes, I have meds for fibro, exercises, a whole book of what I should do, but now I am going to try to just use this one goal to encompass all the other goals.  That way, I don't feel as overwhelmed.  I know I can do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment